Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fishing Trip with a Slam Dunk

So this is what happened. We were fishing on Winnibigoshish( a very large lake) with dozens of other fishers (most in 14-20 foot boats). The wind started to increase steadily and we decided to head back while it was still safe to go... The wind got a lot worse rapidly and all started across to go back to safe harbor. Suddenly we were all trapped in 4-6 foot swells in small craft. Looking at other boats we could see what was happening to us. the boat would crest the top of the swell with 2/3- 3/4 of the boat out of the water. Then it would drop into the swell and slam the front of the boat down 6-8 feet and immediately repeat. There was about 20 feet between crests so smaller craft had an extra second to right themselves before the next climb. At least one 20 foot boat had swamped and needed to be towed in under bad conditions. At one of the many slams I felt my back crackle like a huge chiropractic adjustment that I surely didn't need, and my muscles (which were tight from bracing against the constant slamming) screamed in pain and I slid from from my sitting on the floor. on a flotation cushion, to a laying down position. Many times I blacked out for extended moments and we had to press on or risk swamping our boat and me dying. Everyone out there was petrified... It was bad. We put in at a beach on the lee shore to find if my injury warranted medical attention at the beach. I was able to climb up to the front chair ( which took about 15 minutes).. and I told them if we idle back to the landing we could see if I could make it to the car. We did that and took the boat home and then went to the hospital. 

The x-rays showed no broken bones, or compressions, and soft tissue damage would not show up in x-rays so I was given muscle relaxers, pain meds. and a chest compression wrap to possibly help muscles to not over strain to help me heal. My son-in-law Jon drove us back to the cities while I drifted in and out of the drowsiness the meds brought on. I am home and trying to recover as fast as possible, with a lot of pain and can't bend over... 

Praise God it could well have been a lot worse.

No comments: