Sunday, May 23, 2010

Alpine Slide Weekend with the Youth Group

Okay, every year we take a group from our youth group (this year there were 39 of us) to Taylors Falls and the Alpine Slide/Go Cart/Water Park.  Last year it was cold and most of the day was spent playing cribbage and riding the alpine slide and go carts.  During that time I had the urge to call Gary only to discover that he had fallen and I needed to return to the camper to take him to the emergency room.  Sure enough, he had broken his leg. 

That was last year.  This year I get a call from Eme when we were getting ice cream (which is the last thing we do before heading back to the church) to say that Jon had taken Gary to the emergency room in Grand Rapids with severe back pain after a storm came up on the lake they were fishing on (you can read Gary's story below).  Not really knowing how bad it was and being one of the drivers for the group, I couldn't just leave to be with him.  What an incredibly frightening, helpless feeling.

My first statement to Chuck was that I didn't think I would be going on the Alpine Slide Adventure in the future.  Who is to know what might happen next year?

Thankful to God that it isn't worse than it was.

No comments: