Over the past few years, I often wondered what kind of things that my daughters remember doing, hearing, or participating in. As they raise their own children, I have often wondered if there is anything that struck them as worth filing in their memory banks for later. Well, this week I discovered that there are things that they remember.
When I was talking to Laura this past week after she and Danya dropped off the gift for the NICU in Hawaii, she said to me that she most vividly remembers buying a gift to give to another kid at Christmas time (i.e. Operation Christmas Child or Toys for Tots). She told me that she wants to instill this love of giving in her daughter so not only did they drop off the outfits for the NICU but they had purchased a gift to be given to a little girl who was hospitalized. She wasn't sure if they would be able to deliver it themselves but thought if nothing else they could drop it off. Well, they did get to drop it off and she said she hopes that as Danya gets older she herself will be the one to initiate the gift giving.
Then I read Margaret's blog and she adds a note at the end of the blog about her dad praying with them at night when they had all been tucked into bed. She now has begun that same thing with her Little Man O.
It is so fun and heartwarming to listen to my daughters talk about what they learned from their dad and I and how they are putting them into practice. I can't wait to hear more as their kids grow and then to hear what Michelle and Eme would offer as well. I am certain there are a few things that they will choose not to do with their kids and that's okay. I just pray that all the things that I tried to do with my girls will somehow come in handy for them.
I love all my girls and their husbands and children and children-to-come.
1 comment:
I remember all the camping trips we went on and how memorable those times were. I have no camping gear, not even a small tent. But as we being to look forward, I hope that J and I can become a little more outdoors-y people and have the ability to celebrate nature with camping trips. Thanks to you and Dad for helping us grow up as more well rounded and creative adults by having those creative vacations. (Camping, Cave tours, and Allowing Marge and I to stay at Tom and Kathy's every summer.) Thanks Mom and Dad!
Post a Comment